The Edinburgh Old Town Association (OTA) is an organisation working on behalf of those who live and work in the Old Town of Edinburgh to influence the way the area is developed and to improve the environment and quality of life. Set up in 1976 to encourage the regeneration of Edinburgh’s historic centre, the Association has grown to possess a strong and recognisable voice.
What we do
On members’ behalf the OTA...
- monitors all planning applications affecting the Old Town and participates in the planning process. The OTA is consulted by the City of Edinburgh Council and the Scottish Government on matters affecting the Old Town.
- lobbies relevant authorities on issues affecting life in the Old Town. The OTA, for example, was represented on the panel of experts considering the draft legislation on licensing.
- arranges events for members to enhance their knowledge and enjoyment of the Old Town.
For more information on our activities, read our recent newsletters and annual reviews or see a list of recent events for members. If you are not a member, just look at what you are missing!
Members of the Old Town Asociation are people who live in, work in, or simply just love the historic heart of Edinburgh. There are even members outwith the UK who want to stay in touch with happenings in the Old Town.
- can give their support to an organisation devoted to the well-being of the Old Town of Edinburgh.
- receive regular newsletters with information and comment on issues of current interest or concern.
- can participate in members’ meetings.
- attend a range of activities including visits to places of interest (many not usually open to the public), guided walks, talks on a variety of topics, and question-and-answer sessions with officials from the local authority, Police, and others whose decisions affect the Old Town.
Members elect a Committee which meets once a month to consider issues of concern to the Old Town and its residents, workers and visitors. The Committee represents the members and provides an accessible forum for views on matters of local interest such as amenity, noise, traffic, parking, liquor licensing and so forth.
Become a member for as little as £5.
Contact Us if you have any queries.
The Edinburgh Old Town Association is a Scottish Charity, Number SC009217. Read our most recent annual report and accounts.